We welcome requests for free virtual programs from communities that provide housing to the aging population in Iowa (sometimes referred to as Senior Living Communities or SLC) and Iowa Senior Centers. Due to funding, our free programs are limited to these groups at this time. Because these are live, virtual programs, we require your SLC and/or group to provide the following:
- A stable internet connection for participating in a live program on Zoom.
- A central large screen/projection or individual screens connected to the internet for participants to watch.
- A web cam and a microphone so that we can hear and see participants through Zoom. Speakers are helpful so that participants can more clearly hear us. This will help us and the participants with engagement. If you have questions about equipment, please let us know.
For large group programs (more than one person in a room):
- Microphones should not be muted, and camera(s) should be facing residents so that we can see their faces. This helps with engagement since they will be seeing us as well.
- A SLC staff member must stay in the room during programming to help with set-up and questions during the program. It is often difficult for us to hear participants who are sharing one microphone or see raised hands from participants who are sharing one camera, so we rely on staff to help us with engagement.
For programs when participants are in their rooms or at home:
- We will go over program guidelines at the beginning of each program, including mute/unmute and program layout.
We’re happy to discuss technology and options ahead of scheduling. If you are unsure your tech set-up will support a virtual program with live engagement between us and your participants, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can brainstorm and address possible options.